Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Meanwhile, Back on Job Seeker's Row

As you may or may not be aware, I am in the process of looking for a job. As I'm generally at the Doggie Bag on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday,  I've been doing whatever pertains to my job search on Tuesdays and Thursdays, mainly requesting, filling out, dropping off, and/or checking on applications. I still haven't had any luck.
Since my return from my out of town family-related business, I have applied to seventeen places. In most cases, either the place is not hiring, has hired someone else, or has a policy that if they have a position and want to interview me, they'll call me (thereby discouraging follow ups). I've got three applicaitions to submit tomorrow, two that I'm going to try to obtain, and one to check up on. I also have one other that I plan to fill out this week and turn in on Tuesday.  From there, I will have six places for which I will need to whip up a resume unless it turns out that they are not hiring and would thereby have no interest in looking at a resume. (It might be a difficult customize a resume for each and every potential position since a couple are, as far as I know, so similar in nature.)  After I've applied to (or crossed off those that I am unable to apply to) every place that is on my list of places to try to apply to, I will turn to newspaper classifieds and see if there's anything there I'd qualify for.

For the job hunt (at least the parts that take place outside the home), I generally dress up, and that involves a black business jacket and wedge heels. Because of our weather being what it has been lately, I generally carry the former with me and put it on when I get closer to my destination. The latter were the best that I could do for shoes that were plain enough to wear on the job hunt in good conscience despite the fact that I generally go on foot. (Driver's ed. didn't go over so well for me ten years ago as I'd get so nervous behind the wheel. I haven't really had a chance to try again since then.) On Tuesday, I took a bottle of water for me in order to have some hydration en route and bought another somewhere on the way home. I might have to do that again.

Job hunting hasn't been easy, especially not this time of year. But given what I have at stake (student loans to pay off, living parents to avoid letting down, any hope of ever living out on my own, etc.), giving up is simply not an option for me at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment