Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Doggie Bag Days Season 3: Day 34

The first thing I did today was take some empty hangers from near the register to the back room. There were some untagged clothes waiting for me on the pricing rack, so I tagged those that were in acceptable condition and pulled the ones that weren't. (Unfortunately, the stain and hold gremlins are not taking the summer off any more than the clothing fairy is.) After that, I attempted to fill the pricing rack with as much season-appropriate clothing as I could. I had to be a bit selective though since some of the racks had more room than others. I tagged whatever I was able to transfer from the back room to the pricing rack that was in good condition. I think I had it almost entirely filled up when the manager needed me to run over to the bank to get some change. (Sometimes we run low on change. It happens now and again in  businesses where a register is somehow involved.)

After I returned to get change, I was going to return to filling up what little space was left on the pricing rack, but the manager and someone else were in the middle of something in that area so I inspected some clothes in the back. Whatever was in good condition (as far as I could tell) I set aside for the manager to make the final judgement call on, and whatever was in bad condition I put in a bag to be recycled. One of the most interesting pieces of clothing I dealt with today was a shirt that said, "I'm a workaholic. Every time I think about work, I need a beer." But when I ran out of clothing to inspect, I more or less tried to straighten things up in the back, doing things like picking up trash and taking emptied bags to the front. In the last hour of my shift, I tried to clean up the mess of hangers behind the counter in the back, putting some in bundles of ten. I also had to fill up the section devoted to hangers that we were selling (still at three bundles for a dollar) as it had gotten empty. (It's mostly colorful shirt hangers that we're selling at this point. We no longer use them for the sales racks, at least not for the adult clothing, but if they are donated to us, with a piece of clothing on them or otherwise, we set them aside to be used in the next bundle.)

That's been my day today. I'm not sure if more clothing will come in between now and Friday. If not, I may be able to catch up on whatever clothing we do have provided I don't run out of room on the sales racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment