Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Doggie Bag Days Season 3: Day 37

When I got there this morning, the cashier on duty forwarded a memo from the manager that I was to put some kids' clothes on the rack that we currently display outside. Since she didn't leave any specific guidelines on that, I basically went with my gut and put out there some of the more attractive and/or more expensive items from both the infant sections and the older kid sections. I put out there some shirts and shorts, and in the case of the girls' clothing, some skirts. I didn't see anyone select anything from said rack, but a few did browse it at least.
After that, I washed some glass jars and bottles that the manager had brought in on Monday but that neither one of us had been in a position to clean off, and that was something that needed done. The bottles were easy to clean on the outside, but I had trouble getting to the dirt at the bottom on the inside. There wasn't anything that was long enough or narrow enough to help with that, and swishing soapy water in them only did so much. I noticed that the boxes were dirty on the bottom, so I would either try to get some boxes that weren't dirty on the bottom or find some newspaper to line the boxes with.  I had maybe gotten one or two boxes of that done before I was needed to take over on the register as our morning cashier had to leave and the manager hadn't quite made it in yet.

Another thing that needed to be done was our general section for curtains, tablecloths, bedding, etc. needed straightened, so I did that. I had gotten on a roll at that time, so whenever I wasn't busy with a customer, I'd find another area to straighten.

When the manager and her son came in, and thus one of them was able to run the register for a bit, I picked up where I had left off on washing the jars and bottles. I maybe had a couple of them left to do when the manager had to go run a quick errand and thus needed me to run the register for a bit. She also had some clothes priced and ready to put out, so I took care of that. There were some pieces of clothing that I had trouble telling if they were for kids or adults, so I made my best guess.

When the manager returned, I was able to finish washing the jars. Around the time my shift was up, in light of it being so hot out, the manager offered me a ride home after whatever customers were around were gone even if it meant closing the store for a few minutes.  (She said that it had a tendency to slow down closer to the end of the day.) I accepted the offer.

After I had finished up the jars, while I was waiting for the manager to finish up a conversation with a customer, I steamed a couple of pieces of clothing that had been set aside as they were wrinkled and then tried to straighten things up a bit. When said customer left, the manager and I took the things that were being displayed outside in, and then she drove me home.

That's been my day today. I'm hoping that on Friday, we'll get more caught up on the clothing as we have a lot of it in the back. For a while, we didn't have a lot of room on the kids' racks, but I think it's getting better, which is good because we have a lot of it waiting to be tagged, priced, and put out. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment