Monday, September 5, 2011

Dug up Some Poems I Wrote in College

I'm currently in the process of editing three novels, something that is rather slow going. But someone in my family has stated in no uncertain terms that they would like to see me get published this year. I can't really promise that, and I haven't really written anything new lately, but I did have an idea today.
There's a poetry contest going on somewhere. I looked it up, and it said that any kind of poems could be submitted, even if they were previously published somewhere else.

When I was in college, I was a creative writing major, which meant some classes involving ficiton writing and some involving poetry writing. I still have some of the poems that I had written for a couple of my poetry classes, one of which was published in the school's literary magazine. I dug up four of said poems and typed them up on the computer, and tweaked a couple of them. As of tomorrow, I'm planning on sending them for the contest in question. I won't find out if I won or not until February, but I can at least say I've started taking steps towards attempting to be published.  And who knows, maybe I'll be inspired to write something new for the next contest.

There's also a short story contest that I think is supposed to open later this year or something like that. I might whip up something for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment