Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Developing An 8/9-5 Mentality

When I'm not at the Doggie Bag (which I've given frequent accounts of), at church on Sunday, or have some other engagement on any given day, it's very tempting for me to be quite lazy in the day, despite all the things that I could and/or should be doing. I was especially susceptible to this on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
This month, though, I've been striving for more structure in my life. This week, I've come up with the idea of a schedule/task list to keep me busy from either eight or (at the latest) nine in the morning until after five at nights. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I generally schedule in job search stuff and other errands to run that day (such as taking recycleables to the college campus bins) and maybe some chores around the house (such as laundry, dishes, maybe some outdoor work).  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, most of the hours are occupied by my shift at the Doggie Bag. However, for all of the days of the week, I want to make sure to do any online surveys for which I get invites for (at least before five) as well as accomplish the following, before and/or after my shift at the Doggie Bag and before or (most likely) after having done my job search stuff:
  • Read at least one chapter of whatever book I'm on
  • 15 minutes of editing for each of the three novel drafts I have on my computer (this is one of those tasks that takes an indefinite amount of time to fully complete and one for which my short attention span doesn't handle very well; so, if I can commit to at least some time to it, I can feel as "accomplished" as I would with a more finite task)
  • My age in sit-ups and in push-ups
If I complete, the above tasks and anything else I have planned for that day, before five, I will find something else to do, such as cleaning my gmail or weeding the patio to keep me busy at least until after five. But I intend to get the reading, editing and exercising tasks done every single day, even if they don't get done until after five. I also plan to do those three things on Saturdays when I have time on my hands at home as well as before or (more likely) after church on Sunday. If nothing else, it'll keep me from having that "I'm bored" feeling in my head. The difference between the weekends and the rest of the week though is that I won't be on as rigid of a schedule on the weekends. But getting the reading, the exercising, and the editing time out of the way will make me more free to do other things guilt-free. What I might do is place myself under the rule that I won't do extracurricular web stuff until those three things are done. (Believe me, that's a weakness of mine.)

Well, that's what I've come up with so far. I may have to make changes further down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment