Wednesday, June 8, 2011

This Summer

When I was still going to school (and I use the term "school" loosely) summer meant time off from school, or when I was taking summer classes (which I did for two summers in college), less time at school.
This is my third summer since I finished college. The first summer I was in college, I was living with my dad and was usually working on stuff at home (most of which had me behind a computer) more often than not. The second year, last year, I was out of town looking after my nephew.

This year is different. I am living with my mom and stepdad, who both have full-time jobs outside the home (though my mom's schedule is the most consistent of the two), so while other than needing to be home in time for dinner, I can pretty much come and go at will. And because my sister has opted for someone else to look after her son this time, I will likely be staying in my hometown for most if not all of the summer.

As I am not a student at any academic level anymore nor am I involved in any profession where I get summers off, the term "summer vacation" means nothing for me now. I plan on staying busy throughout the week. I'm involved with volunteer work at the Doggie Bag on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. As of this week, for Tuesdays and Thursdays, I plan to have some sort of task list in order to obtain and maintain structure in my life. After all, if I wish to be a proper adult, a sense of order and routine is a must. The tasks will include, but not be limited to: filling out surveys (if I get emails for them), picking up/filling out/dropping off applications (especially since I lost nearly three months of potential job search time to really bad weather followed by a family emergency), reading at least one chapter of whatever book I'm on, and editing my novels, if not starting some other writing projects. I'm sure if I do the aforementioned, if not more, my Tuesdays and Thursdays will be just as full as if not more than, the other days. The TV, which, when I was growing up, could run for any given amount of time whenever I was at home, will not have a role in my day. In fact, I have recently resolved to leave mine off at least until after 5 PM each day. I also plan to keep sleeping in and downtime (at least before 5 PM), to a minimum on weekdays if not on the weekends.

That's what's going on with me at this point. Barring anything unforseen, I'll be back in later to give you all an account of what's been going on at the Doggie Bag today.

No comments:

Post a Comment