Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Days 48-49 At Doggie Bag

I wasn't sure I would be able to make it in on Tuesday as I had a hair appointment in the morning. (I got a trim.) I had told the manager the day before that I'd maybe make it in on Tuesday, but there were no promises. I got in at noon. The big project of the day was to clean/thin out some of the displays. Our $1.00/bag rack is officially gone.  At one point, someone had a huge donation, and I was supposed to be one of the people in the back helping the person out, but let's just say I had misunderstood the message, and by the time I had gotten to the back, it was already taken care of. I still felt awful about not being where I needed to be as I worry that making mistakes of any nature on the job would ruin my professionalism. (Besides, part of my purpose for working at Doggie Bag is to redeem myself within the working realm as I had failed at my Burger King job four years ago. I wasn't fast enough for the latter. I still have tons of remorse about my failure if for no other reason than the fact that I don't like to let other people down.)

This morning, roughly 15 minutes before time to open, someone said they had come to do community service. I had called the manager to find out the proper procedures regarding that, and let's just say that I apparently, I should've known exactly what to do. I got it figured out to the best of my abilities.  This isn't the only time I've ticked someone off for asking about something that I should have known the answers. (Take both of my parents AND my older sister for example...) I'm going in tomorrow to turn in my key (as I was one of the people designated to open and/or close depending on shift) since I will be gone from Friday night until the first or second week of August. If I happen to see the manager then, I'll apologize for bothering him over that which I should've known the drill on.  Either that or I'll leave a note and state that I will understand if that kind of stupidity will disqualify me from reclaiming my spot in August.

Despite all the rain we had today (which was pretty heavy), business was better than I would've expected. I didn't find out how much we made exactly as I ended up leaving early out of fear that the weather was going to get worse.

Such were my last two days at Doggie Bag before time for me to go out of town. I'm hoping to reclaim my spot in August, but I don't know if I'll be able to or not, especially given the mistakes I have made in the last two days (if not at various other times on duty).  The other reason I may not be able to reclaim my spot is because it could very well be filled by the time I return. If I am allowed to return, it's going to be a real wake up call to me that I need to step up, get my act together, and stop making mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment