Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 17 At Doggie Bag, Or Some Things You Just Don't Learn In School

This morning we had an informal meeting regarding what clothing should or shouldn't be put out on the sales floor. The "shouldn't" list consisted of clothing that was stained, torn, or out of date. The stained/torn part is easy, but the "style" end of it is a gray area to me personally. (While allegedly out of date clothing was being pulled from the racks, there were maybe one or two times I was asked my opinion.)

I had admitted that I was not the most fashion-conscious person in the room. (And some of the clothing that is currently in style is not something I'd wear.) Besides which, for all I know, there may be customer who could care less about the latest trends and would just get whatever.

A lot of wintery-type shirts got moved over to the $1.00/bag section where the coats and other items used to be in order to free up space for spring/summer clothes. Clothing that had been in the $1.00/bag section had to be pulled to be recycled. However, staff members were welcome to anything in danger of being recycled. I managed to get four skirts, two blouses (a white one and a pink one) and a tan cardigan. If any of it turns out not to fit, there's always Salvation army. (As much as I have avoided adding to my wardrobe due to the amount of clothing I already have, I figured it would hurt to integrate some business-like clothing in, partly as an incentive to keep focused on the job search/getting an income stream going but also as a subtle "reminder" that I'm a grown woman. Somehow, the whole jeans and t-shirt routine doesn't really send me that message, although there is a time and a place for that kind of clothing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment