Sunday, March 28, 2010

Freelance Proofreader Anyone?

So, last week, I had gotten a postcard with a typo on it. Today, at church inside the bulletin was an announcement regarding a prayer breakfast (which I won't be going to due to a scheduling conflict). The last sentence said, "All Men Are invites to attend [italics mine]."

This is one of those areas where my detail-oriented side kicks in. When you write something, sometimes you get so caught up in saying what you need to say that things like spelling, grammer, etc. slip through. (Been there, done that.) There are publications with proofreaders of their own. I'm lucky if I could find a proofreading job in my particular hometown. However, maybe I could do it freelance. (I still have yet to obtain a job, and I've got to do something in order to meet some pending financial obligations, not to mention take care of some personal needs of mine.) Of course, I have to figure out how I will go about it, what I will charge, etc., but it may well be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's called editing now. Have you tried researching some of the Freelance websites?
    http://www.odesk.com/ or http://www.elance.com? And there are others too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to either one yet. There was one that I was at called Go Freelance, but (I think) it requires a paid subscription which is not especially feasible for me at this time. (I did research some proofreading positions, but unfortunately, they call for specific qualifications that I have yet to achieve.) I'll probably check out some more sites, including the ones you have listed.

    If I do establish myself as an official proofreader/editor, I will likely do that in April. The plan there will be (even if not in this particular order) to 1) figure out what my rates, as well as what types of material I wish to proofread will be so I can advertise accordingly, 2) seek out online and print material that I can correct and use as samples that I can have available upon request, and 3) seek out proofreading opportunities online as well as within my own hometown. I will likely use a combination of networking and fliers for local opportunities. (It would probably also help if I learn how to make business cards so that I will have some of those on hand.)

    ReplyDelete