Sunday, June 13, 2010

Missing Church

For most Sundays after I had finished college, I had been going to church. When I was living with my dad, we went to a Disciples of Christ church which we both eventually joined. After I returned to my mom after Dad had to have surgery, I began attending a Baptist church (though not right away). Granted, there were days when I had to miss due to things like weather or outside commitments, but as I was re-integrating church into my life (as there was a time in my life when I had stopped going for some reason), it was becoming the norm for me.

However, I'm staying at my sister's house, and nobody there goes to church. It'd be one thing if I lived here, then I could come and go as I please. But being somewhat a guest here, it would seem more polite for me to keep my schedule as conducive to everyone else's as possible. Besides (on the weekends at least), my nephew is awake before my sister or her boyfriend, and there's no telling what he may need.

Church, if nothing else, gave me something to do on Sunday, not to mention an excuse to dress up. (Yes, I am one of those churchgoers who more or less observes the concept of "Sunday Best".) Now, Sundays are basically ordinary days at home in casual clothes. (In fact, I'll be lucky if I have any cause whatsoever to wear anything remotely dressy this summer.) Reading the Bible verses for today in keeping with the "Read the Bible in a Year" program I'm doing only took a few minutes.

I have to find something else to fill my time. My sister's corgi is asleep on my bed, so playing fetch with him is out. I don't have any books to read. Maybe I'll just have to stay on the computer and do my Facebook games (Cafe World, Petville, etc.) and/or rewrites for my novel. I kind of wish I had something non-electronic to do, like Sudoku, or some latch hook. Maybe I'll get to take a walk later. Who knows?  I just know that one of the things I'm looking forward to when I get home is going to church again.

No comments:

Post a Comment