Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Doggie Bag Days Season 2: Day 3

Most of my time has been spent going through some bags and boxes of donated clothes, discarding what could not be put out on the sales floor, hanging up and tagging what could be put out (to the best of my knowledge), and then pricing and putting some stuff on display.

I don't know if this is the only time I have made this mistake, but today, I accidentally put shirts that fell under the category of "small" into the "medium" section. The manager caught making said mistake when she wanted to look at a shirt I was putting on display. I was somewhat chastised for this, especially when the sections were marked VERY clearly. (She asked me if that's what I had been doing all along--not checking what section I was putting stuff in. I don't remember if I have or not or even if I'm the only one that did it. At least she took my grossly pathetic error better than my conscience did.) I moved the shirts to the right section and moved any others that were in the wrong section. I still felt very angry with myself for what I had done.

First off, even though I'm not being paid, I do try to act professionally and in my head, making a mistake that I could have EASILY prevented had I properly engaged my brain at the time is anything but professional. (At this rate, if I had been in a position to put in applications and a prospective employer were to contact the manager about me, I'd be nervous about what she might say about me. It's bad enough I was fired from my hometown's then Burger King as my speed was not up to standards. Besides, I don't like to be on bad terms with anyone in my life, period.) 

Second, I'm 25 years old. Someone far younger than myself could've prevented such a mistake. I have failed to act my age (and "acting one's age" is a value that I know my father has and possibly my mother, though I don't think she puts as much emphasis on it as my dad has at times when I've made simple mistakes) so many times that it is just disgusting.

Third, what would my parents think if they had seen me make that mistake, ESPECIALLY my dad, since I'm still accountable to them? (Say what you will, but I consider my parents to be within their rights to hold me to whatever standards they will, and if one of said standards is to abstain from simple mistakes, so be it.) My mom would've maybe treated it as a mild annoyance, but I would've likely been lectured by my dad and/or asked why I did what I did versus what I should've done. That happened at various times when I was living with him, and if I return to him, I'll really need to make an extra effort not to mess up anything (and possibly pray like mad to God to help me stop making mistakes).

Fourth, how can I consider myself to be a well-behaved Christian woman if I'm doing stupid stuff like this? There's a church in Maine somewhere that believes that a real Christian does all the right things at the right time without fail. If such is the case, then I'm not a real Christian, as I've constantly messed up.

Fifth, once an action has happened, the fact that it happened will never go away, even if we "correct" it, make amends, etc. There's a lot of things I'd prevent if I could turn back time.

Finally, did I mention that the sections were CLEARLY printed, so there was no excuse for me not to do what I did? (I was getting tired, yes, but it didn't change the fact that I was doing something important and shouldn't mess up on anything when I'm doing something important, especially if it has anything to do with anyone else.)

In short, there are multiple reasons why it's very difficult not to be so P.O.'d with myself for such a mistake even after I've corrected it. I hope I'll be able to redeem myself.

Later on, someone came to pick up some stuff that needed to be recycled, namely clothes and boxes. That freed up some space in the back room. I was needed to help load up the truck for that. At least I didn't screw THAT up that I know of.

I might go in tomorrow, but I have laundry to do, so it might be closer to noon when I go in.  I do plan on going in on Friday, and I'm scheduled for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment